• (314) 384-9304

September 15, 2022

Are You Allergic to Jewelry?

allergic to jewelry

Allergic to Jewelry: Did one of your favorite necklaces leave you feeling itchy or red? Or did a random patch of bumps on your wrist surface after wearing the new bracelet you were just gifted? Is this the first time you are experiencing an allergic reaction to jewelry? Or has this been happening for years? 

If your answer was yes to any of those questions, we’re here to tell you why and how to help you. Although it does not seem like a common occurrence, more people are allergic to jewelry than you may think. Allergic reactions to jewelry are typically called allergic contact dermatitis. These types of reactions can range from mild to very painful and disruptive. 

What Causes Allergic Contact Dermatitis in The First Place? 

Dermatitis is a doctor-talk for skin irritation.  Contact dermatitis is doctor-talk for skin irritations caused by something that comes into contact with your skin, such as poison ivy or harsh irritating chemicals or even jewelry.  The hives or rashes from contact dermatitis may appear to look the same as rashes or hives caused by food sensitivities or emotional stress.  It is the cause of the irritation that is different.  There must be physical contact with the skin.

We don’t know why some people react to metals contacting their skin and others do not.  We do know that if you have a contact allergy or sensitivity to metals, it is because your body’s immune system, for unknown reasons, just doesn’t like the metal.  When that happens, white blood cells are sent to the skin to fight off the offending substance.  The result is skin irritation, rashes, and itching which can last up to 2 to 4 weeks.  However, every person is different and the length of time you will react can vary. 

Unfortunately, contact dermatitis can often be transferred to other parts of your body. For example, if you have developed a contact dermatitis rash on your fingers, it isn’t a good idea to touch your eyes or genitals.   

What Metals Are the Most Common Catalyst of Allergic Reactions? 

According to recent studies, the most common allergenic metal is nickel. It is becoming more common to see “nickel-free” labels on jewelry.  However, nickel is not the only type of metal that can cause a reaction; some people have also demonstrated reactions toward gold as well. Thus, regardless of the metal in your jewelry, you can have a reaction if your body sees that metal as an offending allergen. 

Metal is not the only allergen used in jewelry making.  Latex is sometimes used to produce non-metal embellishments on jewelry.  If you have a latex allergy, be sure to stay away from that type of jewelry adornment.

Now that we have covered what jewelry allergies may look like, we would like to tell you about some ways of dealing with these allergens. 

First, obviously, only wear hypoallergenic jewelry. Although it may come at a higher price, it is worth avoiding the hives, skin pain and itching. Some of the most common hypoallergenic metals are surgical-grade stainless steel, titanium, nickel-free stainless steel, 18-karat yellow gold, nickel-free yellow gold, and sterling silver. 

If none of these alternatives provide relief, you may have to stop wearing jewelry until you have been tested and treated for metal allergies.

That is why we suggest Advanced Allergy Therapeutics (AAT). AAT is a holistic treatment for allergies including those to jewelry.  St. Louis Allergy Relief Center specializes in Advanced Allergy Therapeutics and our specialists are compassionate and sympathetic, as they understand how drastic allergic reactions can alter your ability to go through everyday life. 

Whether you are looking to treat your child, yourself, or another loved one, we believe that a comprehensive assessment can help you discover which jewelry materials work for you and treat the ones which do not. We will help you identify stressors that are triggering these symptoms, in order to get you back to feeling and looking like yourself. So do not be discouraged, there is hope! 

St. Louis Allergy Relief Center is here to help!

St. Louis Allergy Relief Center treats allergies holistically without the use of pain or pills. We are an allergy wellness center specializing in natural treatments using Advanced Allergy Therapeutics (AAT). After completing a comprehensive assessment, we provide you with a detailed evaluation and treatment plan to help with the seasonal, food, environmental, and chemical stressors that may be triggering allergies or allergy-like symptoms. Visit our website to learn more or call us at 314-384-9304.